Senior Research IT Manager
Senior Research IT Manager
This is an excellent opportunity to work within an innovative and entrepreneurial team that has is backed by the resources and support of an established and well-respected organization! Join the Research IT team to help plan, design, and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research.
If you're the one, you will have a deep understanding and hands-on experience in Laboratory Information Systems, Scientific Data Management, Scientific and Research Computing environments, as well as in working collaboratively with Researchers and Information Technology staff.
Strategy & Planning
• Ensure high-quality research Laboratory Informatics applications performance by developing a deep and robust understanding of the solutions’ architecture and design, implementation considerations, customization, and integration.
• Formulate and deploy long-term strategic plans for acquiring and enabling efficient and cost-effective Laboratory Informatics solutions in support of faculty and research staff.
• Play a principal role in managing the enterprise's relationship with the Laboratory Informatics vendor(s).
• Manage the team’s operational and technology development planning, including business requirements gathering, project planning, organizing and negotiating the allocation of resources.
• Own Research IT Laboratory Informatics technology solution selection and implementation; Develop and present business cases to Senior Management alongside top business stakeholders.
• Define and communicate milestones, service level agreements, and resource allocation to executive team, department leads, support staff, and end users.
• Develop and review budgets and ensure they comply with stated objectives.
• Review the performance of Laboratory Informatics systems to determine operating costs, productivity levels, and upgrade requirements.
• Develop vendor bid requirements, reviews submitted bids for compliance with stated requirements and makes the appropriate award.
• Research potential technology solutions and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts.
• In collaboration with peer managers, develop IT policies and procedures.
• Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, department heads, and end users regarding pertinent IT activities.
• Hold primary responsibility for the negotiation and administration of vendor, outsource service providers, consultant contracts, service agreements, and related budget management.
• Establish and nurture trusted relationships with senior-level, decision-making business executives.
• Create and drive an ongoing environment and culture of exceptional customer experience.
• Develop metrics to measure the level of customer satisfaction from all interactions with internal and external contacts.
Staff Leadership, Development & Management
• Perform organization design and job description development. Work closely with IT leadership to update job descriptions to support emerging IT organizational strategies
• Manage a team of 6-10 Research IT Laboratory Informatics and technical contract staff for excellent performance.
• Manage special projects and initiatives.
• PhD in life/natural sciences with 5+ years’ experience or Master’s degree in life/natural sciences with 10+ years’ experience at a research-focused organization strongly preferred.
• Experience operating and overseeing Research IT Laboratory Informatics systems. Experience leading Research IT planning initiatives and high-performance teams. High degree of familiarity with current Research IT technology.
• Proven experience serving as the primary leader establishing the vision and roadmap for Research IT Laboratory Informatics programs, with top responsibility for implementations, upgrades, integrations, enhancements and new capabilities.
• Experience presenting to and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders to achieve program go/no go decisions and budgetary decisions
• Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis to day-to-day operations; managing scope; allocation of resources to operational versus development work; systems lifecycle.
• Proven experience implementing formal process improvement programs increasing quality and/or efficiency while reducing cost.